- Some type of bird book like Birds of North America by National Geographic or Audubon Field guide. There are many other good ones.
- Binoculars 8 by 40, 10 by 40
- Note pad and pen: record the day you saw that yellow bellied Sapsucker.
- digital camera: Was that really a Yellow bellied Sapsucker?
- Pith Helmet (optional)
- Nerdy Companion (optional)
- an interest in expanding your horizons. (absolutely necessary)
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Dear Mr. Hemlock,
If you do not wish to renew your life coverage, you will be asked to make funeral arrangements within the next 30 days and choose your "terms of Passage". this will give you the option of mass burial or mass cremation. All proceeds such as Life insurance, real estate, will be "donated" to the National Treasury to balance the budget.
You may wish to go with option "B". which is the "death lottery". It is like the draft lottery of the 70's. Your birthdate and 365 others put into a cage and then they are selected by a man who is going to be executed the next day. He really doesn't have much at stake. He's history after the drawing. If you are in the top 122, you won't make it through the year. 123 through 244 you better hope for some natural disaster wiping out a whole lot of people. 245 to 366 your home free (unless you die).
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Saturday, September 12, 2009
I WAS INSPIRED BY BEV:
Incidently, If anybody recognizes this place let me know. My wife went kayaking there one weekend and she won't tell me where it is.
She gave me the idea yesterday. (growing up in the fifties)
1. I turned 60 in February of 2003. (How did I get to be so old? It was 2002 for me. live fast, live long, and leave no good parts to harvest.
2. I am left sided: left handed, left footed, left eyed, etc. I am ambidextrous. I can't do much with either hand. I was born a lefty but people kept trying to make me right handed.
3. Red is my favorite color, though I wear more blue than red.Ditto for me!
4. I've never owned my own car. First car:Austin Healy Sprite)
5. I dropped out of UC Berkeley after only a year. I never graduated from college. 1 year of college plus a whole bunch of night school.
6. I'm a dog person, not a cat person. I like both, prefer a cat.
7. I've longed to feel like I was one with a horse, but never learned how to ride. difficult to litter box train a horse.
8. I am a third generation native San Franciscan. A New Yorker by birth.
9. My first job was distributing campaign literature for a candidate for San Francisco Supervisor (he lost). I was in grade school at the time. I mowed lawns and shoveled snow.
10. I attended 12 years of Catholic school, but no longer consider myself a catholic. Public school, altar boy, lapsed.
11. My blood type is O+. I am a blood donor. O+ not a donor
12. I've been on diets since I was 10 years old. 8 pounds over HS grad weight. (Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.)
13. My first computer was an Apple IIc (before hard drives!) I like my MacBook.
14. I hate...hate...hate Word (I'm a WordPerfect girl) I like word and pages. never used WP.
15. My favorite movie is A Star Is Born (the Judy Garland version--I've probably seen it over 100 times) The Graduate
16. My first pet was a cat named Socksie, who ultimately ran away. 1st pet; a dog named Wolf, he ran away, but we got him back.
17. I lost my tonsils when I was 4. (I always was careless with my things) I still have my tonsils. My wife wishes they were in a jar. She thinks they make me snore.
18. I once took ice skating lessons (I was terrible at it)I can rollerskate.
19. I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout. I like Brownies and Girl Scout.....cookies.
20. My favorite food is cracked crab. Spaghetti!
21. My favorite place is anywhere near the ocean. I am 500 steps away.
22. Countries I've visited: Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, France, Australia. (Also the airports of Singapore; Inchon, Korea; and HongKong) I have been to Canada, my wife forced me to go. She lived there at the time.
23. I've been in Chicago many times, but never left the airport.I have been to Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincinnati, and Washington Airports. I like the rocking chairs at Charlotte airport.
24. Spring is my favorite season. I like fall.
25. I rode in a hot air balloon once (loved it). I have been to a few balloon festivals.
26. The first president I campaigned and voted for was Lyndon Johnson. I am not very political.
27. I have no allergies that I'm aware of. Don't wash my clothes with chlorine added unless you want to see a strange dance.
28. I gave birth to five children, naturally, with no drugs. Yikes! I cry if I am constipated.
29. I hate sewing and am terrible at it. I only buy wash and wear.
30. My first date was with Bill Farrington. I was 13 and I never dated anyone else until he went into the seminary 3 years later. My first date was with Mary Margaret O'malley. She went to the convent to become a nun a week later.
31. I was a virgin when I married. Not me!
32. My favorite offbeat classical composer is Gottschalk. I like that Polish guy, Chickenowski,
33. I never "got into" rock and roll. I love it...still.
34. I once rode a camel in the pouring rain (it was silly and fun) I smoked a camel in the rain. I got a soggy butt.
35. I have seen orcas and humpback whales up close and personal. This week I have seen horseshoe crabs and jellyfish.
36. I have a mole on my right cheek (face...face...face!) I have dimples on my cheeks...Not my face, Not my face!
37. In high school I typed faster than anybody in the school. I was an average typist in school.
38. My guilty pleasure is pancakes loaded with tons of butter and syrup. Spaghetti.
39. I have always been a compulsive letter (now e-mail) writer. I always enjoyed writing.
40. All I want for Christmas is world peace and a clean house--and I may have a shot at one of those, finally, this year. Well, I am glad you hired a maid.
41. My feet would rather be bare and don't like shoes. I second the motion.
42. I've been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. No diabetes in my family.
45. I've been to New York three times, and have bad memories of two of those trips. I like NYC.
46. I was a professional cake decorator for a few years. I don't eat cake, even on my birthday.
47. I held a snake once; he peed on me. I held a baby once. it peed, pooped and threw up on me.
48. I sleep with the TV on most nights. Not happening here.
49. I've done publicity for just about every organization I ever joined. I am not a joiner.
50. I hate sunbathing. I enjoy sunbathing.
51. I speak a smattering of French and a smattering of Portuguese. I smatter almost nothing.
52. I took piano lessons for 2 years in grammar school. Sister Mary Victor used to whack my knuckles with a ruler. I quit. My father never let me forget the money he "wasted" on those lessons. I had a teacher who threw projectiles at her students.
53. The most beautiful sight I've seen is a tossup between the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland and the Indian Ocean in Australia, both "sea sights." Well I am going to have to go with my Farrah Faucet poster.
54. Two of our children died too early. A parents nightmare.
55. I wrote a book once. published?
56. My favorite quote from a movie: "Ditto." "Get off my lawn"
57. I can iron, but don't. wash and wear.
58. I once met Judy Garland (she was very tiny).I once met Wilt Chamberlain at a football game. He was not tiny. HUGE!
59. I have worked in medical offices for the past 20 or so years. I have been in medical office numerous times.
60. I've never had a speeding ticket (but talked myself out of two). 2 speeding tickets for me.
61. I cry at supermarket openings, sunsets, and at the drop of a hat. I cry at supermarket closings. remember Grand Union.
62. I'm very strong in moments of crisis. Unfortunately I've had lots of practice. I handle crisis ok.
63. I had one sister, who was murdered. a bummer.
64. I was the romantic lead in my high school play. In HS, I was in the audience of the play.
65. I wanted to adopt children, but couldn't stop birthing them long enough to apply. not me!
66. I was either pregnant or nursing (or both) for 10 years straight. not me!
67. I have had a pie thrown in my face (I have also thrown a pie in someone's face). what flavor?
68. It is possible to fit two grown women and two large Christmas trees in a very small car. It is possible to fit thirteen clowns in a VW.
69. Most people in my family have died of lung-related illnesses. Most of my family just got old around 90 and died.
70. I have never smoked cigarettes. I gave it up 12 years ago.
71. I smoked pot once. I was 57 at the time. It did nothing for me. I smoked a few joints about 30 years ago. I had to give it up. people were getting suspicious. They would ask me how I was and I would roll on the floor, laughing hysterically, dropping my two bags of Doritos, My 15 slices of pepperoni, my eight slices of cheese, my 12 ritz crackers and my quart of Pepsi.
72. I kill houseplants. I am not allowed in Florist shops for the same reason. They have my picture at the cash register.
73. There is no better chocolate than See's. I must give it a try.
74. Coffee of choice? Peet's French Roast, black. Seattle's best (Henry's blend)
75. I danced the polka when I was 9+ months pregnant (Jeri was born the next day). I did the limbo under a pay toilet stall.
76. I once climbed to the top of Mt. Lassen. I was much younger then. I heard that you were younger, years ago.
77. I don't like Shakespeare. I like the guy, but I don't like what he writes. oh! that's the same.
78. Never been on HRT. me either!
79. I am reluctantly pro-choice. I know what you mean. Birth control to late.
80. I have marched in three Gay Pride parades. I have been a parade watcher. Someone has to do it.
81. I love the sound of rain on a roof; I love walking in a light rain. I like a soft rain, not a downpour.
82. I am not a hot-weather person. I like hot.
83. I couldn't decorate my way out of a paper bag. I once decorated a paper bag.
84. I have over 600 VHS tapes (anybody want an old movie on tape?) pack em and ship em!
85. I am a shy person and am uncomfortable in the limelight.My wife and I sing and dance in the aisles at Walmart.
86. I once wrote a weekly mental health column for the local newspaper. Where did you get my file?
87. When I graduated from high school, I planned to be a nun.you obviously enjoyed getting your fingers whacked.
88. I've never danced ballet, but wanted to take lessons when I was in grammar school. In my younger days I would not minded lessons from a ballerina.
89. I rarely drink alcohol. I have an occasional beer. I know when I have had enough. I usually pass out before I get there.
90. Favorite ethnic foods? A toss-up between Mexican and Chinese. Have you ever tried Burrito foo Yung? 20 minutes later you want to pass gas.
91. I took two series of Chinese cooking classes from Martin Yan. I can cook. How hard is it to read the instructions on a TV dinner?
92. I have always enjoyed photography and once learned how to develop my own photos--now I have gone digital. I love digital. It covers up my 100 mistakes.
93. My favorite things to photograph: animals and young children. My cat, birds, the beach, scenic pictures, my wife.
94. Eclipses of the sun are cool! It gets cooler because the sun dissappears. somebody should have told you.
95. I once broke a toe by dropping frozen beans on it. (Not deliberately) see answer 91
96. I'm afraid of roller coasters. I love it. did it the first time at 50.
97. I fell asleep the first time I saw "Cats" and missed the whole thing. My cat falls asleep watching humans.
98. No matter how thin I get, I will always have fat ankles. I had thick glasses until I got the ultrathins.
99. I love watching birds, I've discovered. I discovered a semi palmated plover on the beach the other day. We are bird watchers.
100. I hope there is an afterlife. There are a lot of old friends I want to see again. I would like to see a few people myself. My best friends life was cut short by Juvenile diabetes.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Once upon a time there was a magical land called 1950's America. It was a strange and wonderful place.
Monday, September 7, 2009
I must start by saying that I am an easy going person. At one time I was as calm as a Buddhist monk at a petting zoo. To be more truthful, I used to be an easy going person.